Wisevu is a web development and digital marketing agency for nonprofits. We fight against government corruption and support organizations that are facing censorship issues for trying to expose the truth.
We are writing this article to specifically help nonprofits, whose content is being censored on major online platforms because they consider it to be controversial or a conspiracy theory.
Freedom of speech is a fundamental human right. On the surface, it seems simple, but there are some serious concerns.
Through new technologies, search engines, and social media platforms, people have become more connected. Anyone who wants their thoughts to be available to a wide range of audiences can do it far more easily, and many have seized the opportunity.
However, there have been some serious concerns about freedom of speech on the internet.
According to an analysis by TunnelBear, nearly 45% of citizens in countries such as the UK, US, Canada, Australia, Russia, Norway, and Sweden don’t trust the information they find online.
Even NPO’s are affected. A Polish non-profit organization called Civil Society Drug Policy Initiative sued Facebook for deleting its groups and pages that shared helpful content for people who are addicted to drugs.
The organization said,
“Online platforms such as Facebook, YouTube and Twitter increasingly control what you can see and say online. Algorithms follow users’ activity, while filters and moderators address alleged breaches of terms of service. Unfortunately, there has also been a number of instances when legal and valuable content was removed, including historical photos, war photography, publications documenting police brutality and other human rights’ violations, coverage of social protests, works of art and satire. We are fighting for the rights of all users of the Internet to appeal from social media giants’ decisions”
Online speech is now being controlled by both government and industry lead policies which in turn affect digital platforms like Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube. As a result, such platforms have sharpened their focus on digital propaganda and are manipulating information through automation to save themselves from the law.
This type of suppression has given rise to censorship free platforms where people can voice their opinion without being censored. They work to promote freedom of expression and the people’s right to know the truth.
Let’s take a look at some platforms that are dedicated to advancing free speech.
Platforms That Offer Censorship Free Content Publishing
1. Bitchute (Alternative to YouTube)
Bitchute is a UK-based free video hosting platform that accommodates people who want to voice their opinions with no content restrictions. It is a free-speech alternative to YouTube. Users who were banned or demonetized from YouTube have migrated to this platform.
2. Parler (Alternative to Twitter and Facebook)
Parler is an American microblogging and social networking site that is popular among people who have been banned from famous social media platforms or those who do not support their moderation policies. It is marked as an unbiased free-speech, social platform where users can share their opinions.
CloutHub is a non-biased platform that supports free speech. The motto of this platform is to empower members who are passionate about making a difference. It was designed to share anything related to civic, social, and political empowerment.
Londonreal is a digital freedom platform that is on a mission to keep content to share free, uncensored content. They conduct guest interviews with people who are banned or deleted by the tech giants. This channel also has another platform called FreedomPlatform.tv.
Note – If you want your content to be restored on platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube, you can launch an appeal with the help of the Online Censorship website. They will help to restore your content.
Organizations Fighting for Freedom of Speech and Other Related Areas
Here is a list of international organizations (mostly NPOs) who are fighting censorship and other information oppression.
- GREATNONPROFITS – Shares nonprofit and charity stories in a non-biased and credible way
- ACLU – Promotes individual freedom of speech, religion, and more
- Reporters without Borders – Defends press freedom
- IFLA – Promotes freedom of expression for libraries
- ALA Office of Intellectual Freedom – Promotes intellectual freedom in libraries
- Amnesty International – Fights abuse of human rights
- Article 19 – Promotes freedom of expression
- Center for Democracy and Technology – Enhances free expression
- Committee to Protect Journalists – Promotes press freedom
- Derechos Human Rights – Respects human rights all over the world
- Electronic Privacy Information Center – Defends privacy
- Electronic Frontier Foundation – Defends digital privacy and free speech
- First Amendment Coalition – Defends free speech
- Global Internet Liberty Campaign – Fights censorship
- Human Rights Internet – Publishes reliable human rights information
- Human Rights Watch – Protects human rights and challenges governments
- International Federation for Human Rights – Defends all types of cultural rights
- International Federation of Journalists – Defends press freedom
- International Freedom of Expression Exchange (IFEX) – Alerts free expression violation
- International PEN – Defends writers suffering from oppressive rules
- Internet Education Foundation – Promotes communications, commerce, and democracy
- Internet Free Expression Alliance – Promotes freedom of expression
- Sociedad Interamericana de Prensa – Defends freedom of speech
- Internet Freedom Foundation – Enhances freedom in the digital society
- PPforum – Promotes insight on policy challenges and developments without fear of favor
- Balancing Freedom of Speech on the Internet Under International Law
- Intermediary Liability 2.0: A Shifting Paradigm
- Freedom of Expression on the Internet
- Free speech vs Maintaining Social Cohesion
- Which Countries Have the Strictest Internet Censorship?
- Censorship of Facebook
- Censorship by Google
- Censorship of YouTube
- Censorship of Twitter
The World Wide Web is not the same across the world. Even though it’s the same network, internet censorship limits what people around the world can access.
There are some advantages to internet censorship such as stopping fake news, curbing access to harmful activities (sex trafficking, child pornography, illicit drugs, and more), and reduced identity theft. But there are some big disadvantages too. Along with fake information, it is possible for real information to be buried. This in turn limits the content people share and access.
It is definitely important for each individual to exercise their fundamental rights as per the limits laid down by the law. But such types of laws should not be used to twist or misuse people’s basic fundamental rights.
People are bound by different points of view. Such types of differences must be respected. Otherwise, the structure of our society might break down and the basic sense of common fellowship may become another dead idea.
We hope that our article will help you find the right platform through which you can share your thoughts without the fear of censorship.
If you have any thoughts to share about this subject, feel free to add a comment.