Some of the features of Stripe include:
- Debit and credit card processing
- Simple checkout buttons
- Mobile app integration
- Custom coupons
- Recurring billing
- Supports payment processing in 135+ currencies
- Multi-currency support
- Integrated fraud tools
- Regulatory license around the world like AFSL in Australia, E-Money License in Europe, and registered MSB in Canada and more
- Supports Apple Pay and Android Pay
- Automated card updater
- Anonymous donations
Stripe also supports payment methods via:
- ACH credit/direct debit
- SEPA Direct Debit
- WeChat Pay
Now that we’ve covered the core features of Stripe, let us find out how NPO’s can benefit from Stripe.
1. What is the pricing structure for NPO’s?
Pricing for NPO’s – 2.2% + 30¢ for non-AmEx transactions and 3.5% for AmEx transactions. By accepting the discounted rates from Stripe, you are also subject to any updates in the pricing policy. Click here to learn more.
- EIN (employer identification number)
- Confirmation of your NPO’s 501c3 status (typically a letter from the IRS)
- Valid email address of your NPO
For new users of Stripe, a starter tier package is offered where the first $1M USD in recurring revenue is free. Once this is used, you’ll be subject to additional fees.
2. Does Stripe support recurring payment?
Yes, Stripe supports recurring payment system. You can set the recurring payment mode anywhere between daily and annual. Some of the flexible customization features include free trials, invoice items, plan change (with or without proration). Take a look at Billing Quickstart and Billing Subscriptions to know more.
3. Is it possible to set the subscription to continue indefinitely until the member/donor (a) cancels or (b) their credit card expires?
By default, the subscription will remain active indefinitely unless the member manually cancels or if renewal payment fails after a maximum of 4 unsuccessful attempts. You can set the number of attempts as you wish in your subscription lifecycle settings. Click here to learn more about it.
4. Is it possible for donors to make an anonymous donation?
Yes, anonymous donations are possible. Stripe only needs the card number, expiry date, and CVC of the donor. Apart from these, any other information you collect is at your discretion. UI components of the payment forms can also be customized according to your needs. Click here to learn more.
5. Does Stripe integrate with WHMCS?
Yes, you can integrate Stripe with WHMCS. Click here to learn more.
6. What happens if a donor’s credit card expires? Is there any way to inform them?
Stripe supports a feature called the automated card updater. In this, Stripe works with card processors to find out if any new cards have been issued to customers and automatically collects the information and updates them. This way, customers can use the services you provide without any interruption even of their card is lost or stolen.
If a credit card is stolen or lost, the user will report it to the bank and request for a new credit card. As Stripe works with credit card processors, the new card details will be automatically updated in their database.
This feature is widely supported in the US wherein Stripe automatically updates most of the American Express, Visa, Mastercard, and Discover cards. However, international support varies and Stripe cannot identify which cards have to be updated. In such cases, you have to run a manual check and send a notification to customers via email. Luckily, Stripe helps you send automated notifications in such situations. It has an in-built option to send your customers a reminder email on your behalf. Click here to learn how to send emails for failed payments.
7. What happens when a subscriber wants to change their subscription? (e.g. upgrade/downgrade)
Stripe does not offer an inbuilt capability for plan upgrade/downgrade. However, if you work with the API it can be achieved. Once you make the API integration, you can set up webhooks to notify you via email whenever a subscriber upgrades/downgrades their subscription. This documentation will help you get started.
8. Can Stripe be integrated with WordPress?
Yes. Stripe offers various WordPress plugins to suit your needs. Click here to view the list.
9. Is it possible to place subscription forms with the capability of one time and recurring payments for various membership levels and donations? Does Stripe support this customization option?
This can be achieved with the help of Elements checkout form. It has the building blocks to design and customize the payment forms to your specification. Here is a list of resources that will help you.
For WordPress websites, you have to reach out to the plugin you have selected for this purpose and find out if they offer such customizations.
10. Which merchant account providers (bank) in the USA and Canada does Stripe integrate with?
Stripe is a full stack payment processor that swaps the need to have an individual merchant account or gateway provider or payment processor. When you start accepting payments via Stripe, the funds are transferred directly to your bank without third-party interference.
We hope that you found the blog useful.
If you’re interested, you can also read about NPO features of Braintree.
Did we miss any of the features we’re supposed to look in a payment gateway for NPO’s? If so, please share them in the comments section below.