Are you planning to build a membership website for your NPO in WordPress? Want to find out the best membership plugins that are currently in the market?
Choosing the right membership plugin is crucial because it gives you a better opportunity to grow your NPO. Even though there are heaps of membership plugins out there, in this post we are going to talk about the best of the best.
Let’s dive in.
1. S2 Member
S2 Member is one of the most popular free membership plugins for WordPress with a seamless user experience. Unlike other membership plugins, you will have access to source code through which you can make required modifications. Plus, S2 Member is powered by shortcodes which makes it easy to implement complex integrations.
Customizing welcome emails or the login page is straightforward. And if you’re using PayPal Pro, creating forms with different payment timeframes (monthly, weekly, and so on) is quite simple. Even though the process involved in integrating PayPal involves a few different steps, we feel that they are well explained and easy to follow. In the free version of the plugin, you get access to PayPal standard button integration.
The pro version allows you to accept payments via Stripe, PayPal Pro, Authorize.net, and ClickBank. Click here to learn more about the features you get in the free and pro version. Price of the pro version for a single website (one-time purchase/lifetime updates) is $89 and for unlimited websites is $189. Click here to learn more about the pricing structure.
- bbPress/BuddyPress integrations
- Compatible with caching plugins
- Includes WordPress hooks, and API functions
- Access to source code
- Mailing list and affiliate program integration
- IP restriction and brute-force login protection
Free plugin information
- Active installations – 20,000+
- Last updated – 1 month ago
- Requires WordPress version 4.2 or higher
- Average rating is 3.9 out of 5 based on 200 reviews
2. Paid Memberships Pro (PMPro)
Paid Memberships Pro is another great WordPress plugin that offers solid membership solutions. With this plugin, you can set up unlimited membership levels and provide restricted access to members-only content (pages, posts, videos, etc.)
The main strength of this plugin lies in the ‘add on’ system which allows you to install/activate a wide selection of features and functionalities. Paid Memberships Pro integrates with top payment gateways such as Stripe, Authorize.net, PayPal, Braintree, CyberSource, and 2Checkout. Through the plugin, you can also accept recurring payments for content podcasts, videos, and more. PMPro also integrates with other third-party integrations and plugins like LearnDash, Bitcoin payment gateway, and more. If you want to know how LearnDash can benefit your membership business, click here.
The basic version is free but, if you’re looking for features like advanced code recipes, PMPro license key, premium support, etc. you have to opt for the paid version which costs $297/year for 5 websites and $597/year for unlimited websites. Click here to learn more about the pricing of PMPro. If you like to read a more in-depth review of the plugin click here.
- Unlimited membership with flexible pricing
- Customizable reports and member dashboards
- 60+ premium add-ons
- 100% GPL and integrated with third-party services
- Develop robust directories by topic or region
- Offer product subscriptions and member-only discount
Free plugin information
- Active installations – 100,000+
- Last updated – 2 weeks ago
- Tested up to WordPress version 5.7
- Average rating is 4.3 out of 5 based on 463 reviews
CiviCRM is a cloud-based open-source constituent relationship management (CRM) software. It is developed specifically for nonprofits, civic sectors, association-based organizations, government-based agencies, political campaigns, advocacy, and educational intuitions. CiviCRM offers various tools for online/offline fundraising, grant tracking, event tracking, donor and member management, advocacy management, bulk email, and more.
This software helps to keep track of all donations from your constituents. You can also develop a charity newsletter for members and mass-produce newsletters directly from your website. If you want to manage events, CiviCRM offers a lot of functionalities for managing meetings and active participants.
Since this application is targeted to only certain communities, you may not have quick support for specific problems. So you have to go through various forums to get support.
- Configurable and customizable according to your specific needs
- Integrates with WordPress, Drupal, and Joomla
- Peer-to-peer fundraising options
- Fully functional tools for running events
- Contribution management like sending gift acknowledgments
- Holistic contact management
- Accounting integration
4. Ultimate Membership Pro
Ultimate Membership Pro is a famous membership plugin that allows you to create many levels of memberships for your customers. The plugin has options to protect pages, posts, products, categories, or specific URLs and restrict access only to targeted members.
Despite offering many features, the dashboard of the plugin looks sleek and well organized. With the help of this plugin, you can create many subscription levels with extra content perks like free e-books or even special coupons. It also supports multiple payment gateways like PayPal, Authorize.net, Stripe, 2CheckOut, Braintree, Payza, Bank Transfer, and recurring cycles. We have written an in-depth review blog about Ultimate Membership Pro. If you like to learn more, click here.
- Drip content protection and notifications
- Integrates with Visual Composer
- Option to sell subscriptions via WooCommerce platform
- Social logins for Facebook, Twitter, Google, LinkedIn, Instagram, VKontakte, and Tumblr
Sell subscriptions via WooCommerce
- Integration option with email marketing platforms like MailChimp, MailPoet, AWeber, GetRespsonse etc
- 10 custom login templates, 13 registration templates, 8 locker templates, and 7 subscription templates
- Price – $29
- Extend support to 12 months – $9
- Last updated 15 days ago
- Number of sales – 28,966
- Average rating is 4.55 out of 5 based on 743 reviews
Which WordPress membership plugin should you choose?
As we have talked about quite a few plugins, we’ll throw some suggestions to help you figure the right one.
Based on our own research and scanning through some WordPress discussion threads, we found that S2 Member and Paid Memberships Pro seem to meet the needs of many NPO’s.
However, if you’re looking for a software that goes beyond just collecting names and payment processing, then you’ll need a sophisticated solution like CivicCRM. It offers a 360-degree view of how members engage with your NPO, manage email lists and complex membership programs at different levels – these are just a few of most basic features the software offers. You can opt for CivicCRM if you need such features. If you are looking for a lot of options where you want to pretty much customize everything about your membership website, you can choose Ultimate Membership Pro. If you want to read a detailed comparison of the top membership plugins, click here.
We hope that our blog helped you find the right membership plugin for your NPO. If you want to know which CMS is suitable for NPO’s, click here to learn more.
If you are looking for Membership Plugin customization, contact our Wisevu developers anytime. We are always happy to help.
If you know any other membership plugins that will be suitable for NPO’s, do share them in the comments section below.